Important Disease Prevention
Westlake Animal Hospital offers pet dental evaluation and cleaning services for dogs and cats in Austin and West Lake Hills. Regular dental care is essential overall pet health and can help your pet have a longer, healthier life. Dental disease can be associated with other serious health problems, such as kidney and heart disease. Dental evaluations are included as part of your pet’s wellness exam, and we will examine your pet for the common signs of dental disease, including:
- Tartar buildup
- Gum health
- Loose teeth
- Excessive drooling
Veterinary Dental Cleaning Services
Based on your pet’s dental evaluation, our skilled staff can perform veterinary dental cleanings and services for your pet. Your pet’s veterinary dental cleaning will include:
- Digital dental X-ray: Reveals dental disease above and below the gum line.
- Ultrasonic scaler: Cleans each tooth thoroughly, both above and below the gum line.
- Tooth polishing: Creates a smooth, lustrous tooth surface more resistant to plaque buildup.
- Prophy barrier sealant: Applied to all teeth to slow plaque build up.
- Nerve block: Blocks pain if surgical extractions or treatment under the gum line are required.
- Warm air circulating blankets: Used during the procedure to help regulate body temperature while the patient is under anesthesia.
- Composite sealant: If a tooth is chipped, this procedure may be utilized to protect against sensitivity.
- Any and all necessary extractions will be performed by a surgeon.
Dental cleaning and treatments are performed under anesthesia to maximize your pet’s comfort. Before anesthesia is administered, we perform a series of safety checks, including an examination and blood work as recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association. Because your pet’s health and comfort are important to us, we have staff on hand to monitor your pet before, during, and after the cleaning is performed.
Anesthetic monitoring includes comprehensive monitoring of:
- Blood pressure
- Heart rate and rhythm
- Oxygen saturation
- Body temperature
- Carbon Dioxide output
We look forward to partnering with you to provide outstanding pet dental care. Identifying dental disease early allows us to treat problem areas before they develop into more severe and costly problems. Please contact us to schedule a dental evaluation or cleaning appointment today.